WHAT WE DO
We’re driven by a shared purpose: to create lasting and shared prosperity for the nation.
The Crown Estate has been serving the nation for over 260 years. As one of the UK’s largest landowners, we’re responsible for some of the nation’s most remarkable places and spaces, on land and at sea.
Our diverse portfolio includes:
- The seabed around England, Wales and Northern Ireland
- 10 million sq. ft of mixed-use property in the heart of London’s West End
- Widespread rural and coastal holdings
- Some of the UK’s most vibrant retail and leisure destinations
- The world-renowned Windsor Estate, which welcomes 6 million visitors every year
- We’re an independent commercial business, established by the Crown Estate Act of 1961. This means all our profits go to the Treasury. Over the last ten years we’ve generated more than £3 billion for public spending. But our contribution doesn’t stop there.
Today, our work on renewable energy, climate resilience and biodiversity is helping address some of the country’s biggest challenges. And with it, we’re creating communities and habitats where everyone can thrive.
HOW WE DO IT
Meaningful / Social / Environmental
Our purpose, to create lasting and shared prosperity for the nation, drives everything we do. At the heart of our success is a united, dedicated team of experts who build lasting relationships with our customers, partners and local communities. So together we create meaningful and lasting ﬁnancial, social and environmental value for the nation.
Passionate / Collaborative / Inclusive
Our committed and talented team are central to our success. They’re the ones who make a positive difference, every day.
Caring, together, creative and impactful
Our values help guide our actions and the choices we make. They define our culture and bring our purpose to life.
OUR STRUCTURE AND GOVERNANCE
Ethical and professional
Good corporate governance is at the heart of how we work – it aligns to our purpose and values. That’s why we’re committed to the highest standards of ethics and professionalism, across everything we do.
A rich history that dates back as far as 1066
We take a modern approach to managing our portfolio, but our history and heritage date back hundreds of years.
Since 1760, the net income of The Crown Estate has been surrendered to the Exchequer by the Monarch under successive Civil List Acts, passed at the beginning of each reign.
The Crown Estate is though owned by the Monarch in right of the Crown. This means that the King owns it by virtue of holding the position of reigning Monarch, for as long as he is on the throne, as will his successor. Responsibility for managing The Crown Estate is trusted to us, under the Crown Estate Act, and the King is not involved in management decisions.